Saturday 19 February 2011

Cooking

Hmmm, I don't.  But G9 wanted to do some baking this morning and I thought why not.  Especially as it was for the dog... what could go wrong?

Now my friend Preseli Mags cooks like a demon, go to her blog Cooking is a Game You Can Eat to see some of her amazing culinary feats.

I thought I'd aim a little lower and picked a recipe from Canine Cuisine by Elaine Everest.

Ingredients
  • 6 streaky bacon rashers (you can use bacon off cuts).
  • 2 mugs of wholemeal flour.
  • 1/4 mug of grated Parmesan cheese.
  • 1/2 mug of warm water.
  • 1 egg
  • 1 vegetable stock cube.
Preheat oven to 190C, gas mark 5.

We actually halved the above as we have a small dog; the quantity we used made 12 heart shaped biscuits.

Grating the cheese.
We fried the bacon in a non-stick pan until cooked but not brown or crispy.

Hey, is that bacon up there I can smell?
Once the bacon had cooled down I blitzed it in the blender.

Then we put the sieved flour (which ended up being strong brown flour because that's what we had in the cupboard), blitzed bacon and grated cheese into a mixing bowl.  We used Cheddar as J thought expensive Parmesan cheese for the dog was an extravagance too far.  We crumbled the stock cube in warm water (chicken in our case) and stirred until dissolved.  G9 beat the egg into submission and added half to the mixing bowl, gradually adding the stock until the dough was firm.

G9 floured the worktop and rolled the dough out to about an inch thickness.  Then she cut the biscuits out in little heart shapes (no other shape will do).

I can smell something, now where are they?
We baked for about 40 minutes on a non-stick tray; or bake until brown and crispy.

We then put them on a trivet to cool, and packed them to store in an air tight container.

The finished product - they look good enough to eat.
Although G9 and J tried one (greedy gannets), I think the dog preferred them....

Please, please... don't tease... gimme gimme!
I quite enjoyed it... but I think I'll still leave the cooking to J.

4 comments:

Maggie Christie said...

They sound delicious! One very happy little dog. I like the sound of that recipe (mine's a bit boring, but Mido has a very sensitive stomach) I think we might have to try this one for little Scamp!

Miss Sadie said...

You sure know the way to a dog's heart!

Chris Stovell said...

Serious dog envy washing over me again! Such a cutie!

Lins' lleisio said...

We made them again this weekend, Topsy is addicted... I'll try and save one for Scamp Preseli Mags.

I try Miss Sadie, I try.

Hopefully soon Chris we can have a dog fest.

Thank you all for your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...