Friday 20 December 2013

Yikes... Christmas is nearly here!

Yet again it's been a while.

I'm on the whole feeling fine; had some leg cramps, hot flushes and felt a bit fed up, side effects of Tamoxifen I think.  The side effects are mild though and they don't really cause me any major day to day problems.

I've become continuously tired, a bit lethargic and 'slow' (mentally too - I didn't have much brain capacity in the first place.) This is the most debilitating side effect for me - although by no means extreme. Everything takes a bit of an effort - especially anything physical. I seem to get out of breath quickly now - which is a common side effect of Herceptin.  I had a second MUGA scan and my heart functionality has dropped by 10%.  I saw my oncologist on Thursday and now because I've signs of mild heart failure (i.e. the shortness of breath) I'm on yet another tablet (Ramipril) which helps to protect the heart. It facilitates a reduction in blood pressure (mine is naturally low) so I could become dizzy or faint - sensibly I must take it last thing at night, when I'm in bed.  I have to go back to the surgery on Monday and get my blood pressure read and then have it read regularly whilst on the medication. I'm not clear how long I need to take it.

I'm a bit fed up as Christmas is round the corner and I want to drink some alcohol!  In spite of the drugs I think I'll manage to sneak the odd beverage in - my brain capacity might not be firing on all four cylinders but I can always work out where my next drink is coming from ;)

Apart from the above news I don't have much to report - except we've had lots of visitors and little days out. I've had a continuous stream of cards, gifts, kind words and support from friends, family, professionals and strangers (somebody came up and gave me a cwtch outside the hospital).  In some ways I feel stronger than I've ever felt before in spirit and I refuse to let cancer break me - though I know I really am one of the lucky ones.  Give somebody a hug this Christmas, anybody. It's the greatest gift.

Happy Christmas \ Nadolig Llawen

5 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

A huge virtual hug from me, Lins - a all best wishes for a brand new year. Cx

AGuidingLife said...

Ahhh lovely tree. So nice to hear from you. It would be rude and wrong not to partake in a little drink I think :) enjoy it.

Rachel Selby said...

Merry Christmas to you too and all your family. I hope the side effects get better and you manage a beverage or two over the festive season. Lots of love from Jerusalem. xxx

Rob-bear said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the rapid advance of Christmas. What happens, happens. The tree is beautify; your story, not so much. It's been one thing after another for you this year. I do hope that 2014 will be much better.

And I don't think you have to worry about brain capacity; I think you're doing very well, indeed. At least smarter than the average Bear.

Blessings and hugs from the Bear across the pond!

Unknown said...

Helo! How are you? I dont have seen any post from you. Are you ok? I'm from Brazil and found out your blog because I'm really interested in Wales...
My God bless you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...