As we were definitely way out of warranty what had we to lose? Removing the lid we found a blown capacitor - C1808. Can you see the culprit with the brown gunk coming out the top in the picture below? (Apparently they fail in a controlled manner, there is a weak spot on the top of the capacitor so rather than exploding they burble). The cost of five of these comes to a grand total of £1.88 (we bought from RS Components). Worth a go I think.
We snipped the old capacitor off at the 'legs' to save removing the whole motherboard.
|The new (bottom) and the old capacitor - rated 6.3V, 680µF. |
The arrows\stripe depict the negative side & the 'leg' is shorter.
Then we just cut away some of the length of the new capacitor and soldered this to the cut off 'legs' that were still poking up from the old - making sure the polarity was correct.
|The 'legs' soldered together.|
Special thanks must go to Dave who pointed us in the right direction with his blog post How I saved (about) £400 on a new PVR (Personal Video Recorder). Please heed the warning at the top of his blog and if in any doubt at all, ask a professional.